Ever hear the phrase “organic living” ? It is very likely to have probably crossed your path and has been ingrained into your mind with a bunch of positive associations. You might be skeptical about foods that look completely the same as what you’re already buying, but will cost you more. What you should know is that there are many good reasons to learn the facts about organic foods and make an educated decision when it comes to the current state and future of your long-term health.
1. Non-toxic. The most basic thing to know about organic foods is that producers work very, very hard to make them 100% non-toxic. Fruits, vegetables, and other produce are grown without using chemical fertilizers, pesticide, herbicides or insecticides. They are very often raised on land that has abandoned the use of these toxic chemicals for at least several years (so that there’s no remaining toxins in the soil). Animals used for meat or other products are not given hormones or antibiotics. They are fed only organic grains. Which means in every step of the process, foods remain in their natural state.
2. Better tasting! Foods that grow naturally just taste better! Not only will you avoid the taste of chemicals which can’t be washed off your foods, but you might not know that most fruits and vegetables are picked early on to avoid spoilage in shipping, and then they’re treated with heat or chemicals to make them ripen faster for human consumption. Not only ruining the taste but also being very harmful to your health.
3. Nutritious. In a lot of cases, organic foods have shown that they retain more vitamins, minerals, and vital fatty acids because, they haven’t gone through the same chemical manipulations that “regular” foods are exposed to.
4. They’re everywhere! Just about any food you can dream of, has an organic version. Whether it’s meats, vegetables, or whole grains, if you want something already made like cereal or pizza, you can find it in organic form. You might have to do a little investigating to locate brands at your local store, or start shopping at specialty stores instead.
5. Breaking the cycle. Chemical treatment of foods is a very bad cycle that affects long- term health of humans and the planet. Starting off with toxins that are used to treat crops, they seep into the soil and groundwater, causing damage that will continue even years after these additives are stopped from being used. They don’t just infect the produce treated, but also any animals that have eaten them and the entire ecosystem where they are. When you put toxins into your body, a little bit might be released as waste, but some of them are stored in your body’s fatty tissues, causing unknown long-term damage. Getting rid of these foods from your body will help you stay healthier. Choosing organic also starts the long process of removing toxins from our planet, launching a chain of events that will lead to a healthier future.
As always, stay green!
-The Team at Sprawling Roots